Monday, March 26, 2012

Sacred Circle

"I'm not afraid to look bizarre. And when I look bizarre, I feel beautiful." - Sharon Needles

Last week, I was talking about dressing for yourself and wearing what you love. When Sharon Needles said the above on RuPaul's Drag Race, I was hearing bells. It is basically exactly and entirely how I feel about my own personal style.

Here are some of my favorite links right now about accepting, and loving, everything about yourself.

+     Gala Darling's 100 Ways You Can Start Loving Yourself Right Now

+     Join the Body Peace Revolution! Stop Hating Your Body!

+     Fat Acceptance Frenchie!

+     All bodies are normal and beautiful, not just the idealized and airbrushed ones we see in the media. Here are some galleries of "normal" body parts; Bellies part 1 & 2, Breasts, and I'll Show You Mine, a book of labias!

+     Learn to love your body through burlesque like these breast cancer survivors.

+     The Marilyn Meme - no body type is intrinsically better than another and you're beautiful, but that's not the best thing about you.

+     Rejecting beauty standards and ideals - How to Move Beyond Beauty

+     Freestyle Fashion: His Black Dress

+     John Waters talks to Rookie Mag about how obsessions and quirks can be powerful and teenage fashion as a form of expression and rebellion. "Like boys wearing their pants so they’re almost falling off - who thought that up? It’s hilarious! They’re really walking and it doesn’t fall down!"

+     Also from Rookie, Surviving a Small Town when you don't fit in. I wish I had read something like this growing up in my small hometown in Alaska.

+     And a bad body image day playlist to banish those inevitable days when you're feeling down on yourself.

Be seeing you.

-W

1 comment:

  1. Surviving a Small Town...LoL... I wish I had had that years ago too!!

    ReplyDelete