Saturday, February 11, 2012

90's Dance Party Birthday

clair4
Photo by Clair Drake


A few months back, I threw a 90's themed dance party for my 26th birthday. I really really love to throw an elaborate party and a theme just makes it that much more fun. I get stupid excited planning a theme, coming up with atmospheric ideas, and making decorations and favors and playlists and, obviously, working out my outfit. This party turned out so good, you guys. Seriously. No fooling.

90sbirthday 078

clair13
Photo by Clair Drake

I made a bunch of fringed crepe paper streamers and garlands of paper daisies using these instructions. I also printed out a lot of pictures of 90's superstars, dreamboats, and personal heroes and pasted them on neon heart cut-outs. I put together neon favor bags too. And, as if anyone would doubt it for a second, everything was covered in Lisa Frank stickers. The bags were filled with Lisa Frank stickers, candy; (Pixie Sticks, Pop Rocks, Warheads, Ring Pops, and Gushers), novelty light-up jewelry, sticky hands, slap bracelets, heart and rainbow shaped erasers, and more Lisa Frank stickers, you know, some really high class goods.

clair
Photo by Clair Drake

clair14
Photo by Clair Drake

clair8
Photo by Clair Drake

The venue we had it at, the K.R. Trigger Building, is amazing. It's this great loft space, tons of windows, in a renovated warehouse full of antique neon signs. If you're looking to throw a small party in Seattle on the cheap, this place is perfect!

clair1
Photo by Clair Drake

Fabio was just hanging out. Real casual. With a chain.

clair10

clair9
Photos by Clair Drake

90sbirthday 053

90sbirthday 031

My friends and I covered the floor in neon balloons. I am actually a little frightened of balloons but I love a completely preposterous amount of balloons at a party anyway. We had sequined tiaras and holographic crowns and laser beam rings and glow bracelets. We ate pizza and cupcakes from my two favorite places in town and drank St. Germain cocktails out of neon yellow cups with plastic mermaid drink markers. My husband and I put together the most incredible 90's dance music playlist ever to exist. I think it ended up being about 9 hours long. 


clair2

clair15
Veraci Pizza - Photos by Clair Drake

clair7
Yellow Leaf Cupcakes - Photo by Clair Drake

playlist
A snippet of our playlist


I was thinking a lot of The Craft, Hackers, and Clarissa Darling when I was getting my outfit together. I found a black lace dress and a vinyl vest(very AcidBurn), at a thrift store, and added a sleeveless see-through black button-up top, some thrifted boots, my lucite ankh necklace and some tie-dyed We Love Colors tights.


90sbirthday 006

90sbirthday 022

clairco

claircrop
Photos c/o Clair Drake

90sbirthday 044


90sbirthday 045
My husband, repping some Tommy Hilfiger. 

90sbirthday 048

90sbirthday 067


fabio

90sbirthday 065


Thanks to my fantastic friends for showing up, boogieing down and helping me decorate and clean up! You're unbelievable! 

clair3
Photo by Clair Drake

-W

1 comment:

  1. That party was SO much fun! You're awesome for coming up with such great ideas! I think themed parties are way more fun too!

    ReplyDelete