Friday, January 20, 2012

Snow Day

cold10 cold9
cold7cold8


Last weekend we saw the first snowfall of the season. The snowflakes looked so fluffy, I had to run outside to play in them.  


cold11

I love the first sight of snow. I love watching it drift slowly to the ground to gather into a light blanket. I love catching the flakes on my tongue and feeling them melt on my skin and in my hair. I love seeing it stick to Popcorn's fur and muzzle and watching him try to shake it away.

cold3

cold2

I am always surprised by the snow here. Even more so when it sticks. I prefer when it doesn't. Snowfall without a lasting snow cover is really ideal in this city. It is just the dream or idea of snow, the romantic version without the trouble.

cold1

This week, we've had more snow than we were prepared for, probably the most I've seen here since we moved. This city is not accustomed to snow. Collected snow here is not beautiful or peaceful. It mostly just causes mess and worry. City snow gets dirty so quickly. It turns to ice and muddy grey slush. It will probably all be gone soon. The snow began to melt away today.

snowtree
Alaska in snow. Photo taken by my best friend, Malia

Alaskan snow was different. I miss a lot things about the winters in Alaska. I miss the feet upon feet of snow that would fall without disrupting our lives. I miss walking across it, high above the ground underneath, hearing the crisp crust crunch under my boots. I miss the quiet that came with it. I miss standing in the snow under a sky full of stars, watching the Aurora Borealis or howling with the coyote that lived on top of the mountain across the street. I miss driving through the thick falling snow, the car's headlights illuminating a snowflake tunnel ahead. I miss sledding through a deep soft snow cover. I miss how bright and clean it made the entire world.

snow2
Photo by Malia

I do not miss near frost-bitten cheeks, frozen runny noses, raw skin scraped by sharp icy snow cover, cold soaked jeans all the way up your thighs, stiff fingers, and biting wind full of sleet and hail. I do not miss being cold all of the time.

My small hometown was hit with a record snowfall this year. Upwards of 20 feet of wet heavy snow, collapsing houses and threatening avalanches. The National Guard was called in to bring heavy machinery to help with the removal, a daunting feat considering the town is not accessible by road, only boat or plane. Thankfully, the worst seems to have passed with no one hurt.

snowhouse2
Photo by Malia

This is my parents' two story house, overwhelmed by snow. They lost a few windows. 

snowhouse
Photo by Malia

I watched a little girl sled down a hill with her Papillon yesterday. Seeing the children in my neighborhood enjoy the snow during its fleeting stay, made me think someday I might like to live in a place with a real winter again. Maybe somewhere in between Alaskan snow and the snow here.

Maybe.

-W

No comments:

Post a Comment